Are Your Windows and Doors Ready for the Cold in Kingston, NY?
Regardless if you are ready, the colder weather is coming to Kingston and you still have time to make sure the windows and door in your home are prepped for winter. Regularly inspecting your windows and doors helps ensure that your home keeps you comfortable and helps save on energy bills.
What steps can you take to prepare your windows and doors for colder weather?
- Ensure your windowsills and all the moving parts are clean – Dirt and debris residing in windowsills or the moving parts on your home’s windows and doors can impact the tightness and seal when closed.
- Examine your weather stripping – Weather stripping helps to keep air from coming back in the home when windows and doors are shut. It can become loose or torn over time, so watch your weather stripping and reattach any loose portions or replace sections that are ripped.
- Reapply caulk or sealant around windows and doors – Rain, water and sunlight can harm exterior sealants and caulk. Remove the damaged material and apply new sealant.
- Repair or replace damaged exterior surfaces – Evaluate the exterior surface of your windows and doors for signs of moisture leaking, which may include cracked or deteriorated wood. Replacing the damaged wood will help keep cold air and moisture from coming back into your home.
- Install storm doors – Storm doors help to add an additional layer of protection from air and moisture and improves energy performance.
- Install snap-in blinds or shades – Not only does this increase your privacy, but it also helps to insulate your home.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient windows and doors – If your home still has single-pane glass, clear glass, or your windows and doors are older, you may be paying more than you should to heat your home. Our experts can talk to you about newer, energy-efficient windows and doors.
If you would like to learn more about preparing your windows and doors for winter, contact your local Showroom in Kingston at 845-663-1025.