There is a point every Kingston winter when you can’t locate the source of the draft in your home. It could possibly be originating from a window that isn’t shut or sealed properly. Even the slightest of cracks can make homes unpleasant and frosty, possibly resulting in:
- Cold air seeping into your home
- Higher heating and cooling costs
According to the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your monthly energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with properly sealed windows. To help limit spending and decrease drafty air from entering your home, it’s essential to be able to recognize where these window drafts might be originating from and why. Here are some helpful tips to find your Kingston home’s drafts and check for issues:
- Search for gaps and breaks in uncommon points of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic access points or just the normal windows with functional abilities and use a straightforward visual inspection.
- Check to confirm that windows and doors are closed and latched.
- Ensure the sealant or gasket around the workable portion of the window or door is correctly sealing.
- Check the installation by determining if the draft is traveling through the window or around the window, between the window and the coarse opening. A window will only function as well as it is positioned.
- Call a specialist from Pella Windows and Doors in Kingston to have them conduct a home energy audit.
Once you’ve found where the draft or air leakage is deriving from, the next step is to attend to the cause of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the specialists in Kingston a call at 845-663-1025 with any extra questions or possible replacement needs.