How to Properly Clean Windows in Kingston, NY
A window gives you an amazing view to the outdoors, brings light in and helps protect the inside of your home from harsh weather. That means your windows see a lot of action. From dirt, water and dust on the outside to little hands or pets on the inside, your windows’ glass gets dirty pretty quick. Luckily, cleaning the glass in windows is fairly simple.
You can clean your original replacement windows in just a few easy steps. Many Pella windows have innovative features that make it easier for you to clean the exterior glass from the inside. Here’s our window cleaning process.
- Brush off your window sills. You’ll want to get rid of the dirt, dust and everything else that is stuck on the window sills and ledges to prevent dirt and mud from getting on the glass later on.
- Now’s an ideal time to clean the screens, too. Just run your vacuum’s dusting brush attachment over the inner facing side of the screen.
- Use a premixed vinegar-based cleaning solution (create your own with one part white vinegar to 10 parts water), and apply to a soft, clean, lint-free cloth or paper towel. Alternatively, you may use an ammonia-free glass cleaner such as Pella's glass cleaner, Windex® or Sparkle®. Spray the cleaner generously, but try to avoid getting the solution on the wood, fiberglass or vinyl frames, as they may discolor the finish.
- Rub from several different directions and let air dry.
- Rinse with clean water if streaks remain after cleaning.
For the clearest view, we’d also recommend cleaning your windows on a cloudy day. Sunshine can dry the cleaning solution too quickly, leaving streaks on your window glass. Your Pella professionals in Kingston prefer using microfiber cloths to clean window glass since it’s lint-free and won’t leave tiny particles behind.
Your windows could look so clean, you might forget the glass is even there. Now that’s what we call a fantastic view.
Please note: You should not use ammonia- or alcohol-based glass cleaners. They’ll leave streaks or produce a film that attracts moisture and dust. See your owner’s manual to learn more about cleaning other parts of your wood windows, vinyl windows or fiberglass windows, or contact your Pella Windows Showroom in Kingston.