Tips to Help Prevent Termite Damage in Wood Windows in Kingston, NY
There’s no question that wood windows can add warmth and help increase the visual aspects in your home. One concern homeowners have with wood windows is the possibility for termite damage. Termites get a lot of their nourishment from wood, which may cause homeowners a lot of problems when it comes to structural damage.
So what can you do to help prevent termite damage?
The best way to help prevent termite damage is to eliminate or decrease the opportunity for termites to get in the immediate area of your home. Here are a few suggestions from Pella Windows and Doors on how you can help decrease the possibility of termite infestation.
- Keep Brush Away From Your House – Try to keep the ground area around your house free of any brush or rotting wood. Termites will use this as a path to get to the house. Particularly for windows on the lower level, keep leaves, dirt and other brush away from the foundation and house.
- Properly Vent Your Home – Termites also seek out water and moisture, so it’s critical to ensure your home, including small crawl spaces, are properly ventilated and permit air to flow.
- Clean Out Gutters – Full gutters create pools of water that are also appealing to termites, and conveniently for the termites— are nearby the home. Make sure you don’t have standing water or leaves and sticks in your gutters.
- Fix Foundation Cracks – Seal up or fill any cracks in the foundation of your home. Most termites create their colonies in the ground, making your home’s foundation their best chance to get in the home.
- Protect Your Wood – Pella Kingston has EnduraGuard® wood protection which offers great protection against the effects of moisture, decay, stains from mold and mildew – as well as termite damage.
- Call a Professional – Pest control firms can inspect your home for any existing termite infestations or damage, and install the right protection system for your home.
If you want more information on wood windows and what steps you should take to help avoid any damage, visit the Kingston showroom or set up an appointment online to have one of our specialists give you a free in-home consultation. You can call Pella Windows and Doors at 845-663-1025 to get started and make wood windows a reality in your home.